The DSPATHS (Direct Support Professional Advancement through Training and education in Human Services) Certificate Program will recruit caring people who seek to enter or advance in a direct support/human services field. The program will target people interested in joining the long-term, direct-care workforce.
The DSPATHS Certificate Program is available to individuals through a formal application process who meet the following criteria:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED.
- Must be either a citizen of the United States or be a legal resident with a work permit or visa documentation.
- Are able to meet physical requirements of the position and lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
- Successfully complete a Level Two Background Screening, including reference checks at applicant expense.
- Must express compassion for other human beings.
- Has the ability to independently travel to and from training/work.
- Is interested in learning to be an effective team member.
- Has the ability to stand for 8 hours with normal breaks.
- Can calculate basic mathematical computations.
- Can read at a 9th grade level or higher.
How to Apply
- Complete the DSPATHS Certificate Program application available at www.arcbrowardlearning.com at least 30 days prior to program start date.
- Please take a few moments to review the entire application and note those areas where your signature indicates consent.
- It is recommended that, because references need to be contacted and will need time to fill out the evaluation forms, you should sign the release for each form and send those out immediately. It is helpful if you include an envelope with your name on it. The two forms should be returned to you in a sealed envelope with the reference’s signature across the flap. Reference check forms must be submitted in the same packet with the remainder of your application materials.
- Interview with the DSPATHS Program Director and faculty team to review application, discuss program interest, go over externship options, and the mentorship program.
- Receive a Conditional Acceptance Letter with notification to complete the Level Two Background Screening.
- Successfully complete the Level Two Background Screening, fingerprinting and reference check process. A non-refundable processing fee of $55.00 is required for the HRS Screenings/Fingerprinting, payable by each applicant directly to the screening facility.
- Upon receipt of the acceptance letter, students are required to provide payment within at least three (3) days of formal Program acceptance.
- Students for the Working Professionals program must provide proof of at least 40 hours of prior experience. For those unable to provide this documentation, the student will be required to complete an additional 40 hours of an unpaid externship.
Applicants with a Disability
Arc Educates complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and strives to ensure that no individual with a disability is deprived of the opportunity to participate in the program solely on the basis of that disability. Arc Educates will provide reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities. Reasonable accommodations may include priority seating, enlargement of notes, handbooks on CD, testing accommodations, and/or assisting with lifting, depending on the student’s documentation and specific functional limitations.
Wheelchair access is available throughout our campus. Candidates with visual, sensory or physical disabilities that would prevent them from program participation under standard conditions may request special accommodations and arrangements. An applicant who wants to request accommodations because of a disability must notify Arc Educates in writing at the time of application and provide appropriate documentation about the disability and the requested modification. The DS PATHS Program staff will consider modification of the requirements on an individual basis. Contact the Director at (954) 746-9400 or (954) 577-4101 TTY/TDD to request the Accommodation Request Form.
Application Criteria and Processing
Once all admissions documents have been submitted and are complete, the Admissions Team meets to review the following factors:
- Dedication and ability to complete all program requirements
- Solid learning capabilities
- Ability to work effectively in a small team
- Integrity, positive attitude and a strong work ethic
- Commitment to pursuing a career in the direct care/human services field
The Admissions Committee consists of the Director and Admission Representative, DS PATHS instructor. Candidates will receive notification regarding the disposition of their application within three (3) weeks of the date it was submitted. If you do not receive notification within that time, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any application that does not meet all of the criteria outlined will be deemed ineligible. Any application for which the required materials are not received by the established deadline will be deemed ineligible. Failure to respond to a request for additional information or verification of materials will result in an ineligible determination.
Decisions from the Admissions Team fall into three categories:
Students are notified by mail. The student is sent a detailed acceptance packet, with specific instructions regarding payments, schedules and other pertinent information. To complete the enrollment process, the Enrollment Agreement must be signed and returned to Arc Educates with the required payment.
Applicants are notified by mail. Students who have been denied admission to a program may contact the school for additional details. If appropriate, students may reapply to a future program.
Applicants are notified by mail. Students are waitlisted when a program is full. If a space becomes available before the program begins, or within the first three days of a program, waitlisted students will be notified and may choose to enroll.